From: Franck Desjeunes [mailto:fdesjeunes@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 06 December 2018 08:01
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  Crush, data placement and randomness

Hi all cephers.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this kind of questions,
but I'll give it a try.

I'm getting interested in ceph and deep dived into the technical details
of it but I'm struggling to understand few things.

When I execute a ceph osd map on an hypothetic object that does not
exist, the command always give me the same OSDs set to store the object.
So, what is the randomness of the CRUSH algorithm if  an object A will
always be stored in the same OSDs set ?

In the same way, why when I use librados to read an object, the stack
trace shows that the code goes through the exact same functions calls as
to create an object to get the OSDs set ?

As far as I see, for me, CRUSH is fully deterministic and I don't
understand why it is qualified as a pseudo-random algorithm.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards.