Re: 'ceph-deploy osd create' and filestore OSDs

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 4:47 PM Matthew Pounsett <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm in the process of updating some development VMs that use ceph-fs.  It looks like recent updates to ceph have deprecated the 'ceph-deploy osd prepare' and 'activate' commands in favour of the previously-optional 'create' command.

We're using filestore OSDs on these VMs, but I can't seem to figure out the syntax that ceph-deploy wants to specify the path.

Where we used to use:
ceph-deploy osd prepare tldhost01:/var/local/osd0 tldhost02:/var/local/osd0 tldhost03:/var/local/osd0 tldhost04:/var/local/osd0
ceph-deploy osd activate tldhost01:/var/local/osd0 tldhost02:/var/local/osd0 tldhost03:/var/local/osd0 tldhost04:/var/local/osd0
.. a similar path syntax for 'osd create' generates an error.

The help output for 'ceph-deploy osd create --help' seems to suggest the following could work:
ceph-deploy osd-create --filestore tldhost01:/var/local/osd0 ...
what version of ceph-deploy are you using and what is the version of ceph? If you are using latest ceph-deploy from pypi, it
will default to ceph-volume and you have to specifiy '--journal' option which is mandatory for filestore, since you are using a VM, you can partition part
of the disk for data and and another smaller partition for journal.

However it does not.

What's the actual process for using ceph-deploy to set up filestore OSDs now?