Re: No recovery when "norebalance" flag set

Haven't seen that exact issue.

One thing to note though is that if osd_max_backfills is set to 1,
then it can happen that PGs get into backfill state, taking that
single reservation on a given OSD, and therefore the recovery_wait PGs
can't get a slot.
I suppose that backfill prioritization is supposed to prevent this,
but in my experience luminous v12.2.8 doesn't always get it right.

So next time I'd try injecting osd_max_backfills = 2 or 3 to kickstart
the recovering PGs.

-- dan