From: Martin Verges <martin.verges@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 1:49 PM
To: Chen2, Dave
Cc: singapore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; ceph-users
Subject: Re: [ceph-users] Benchmark performance when using SSD as the journal

[EXTERNAL EMAIL]
Please report any suspicious attachments, links, or requests for sensitive information.

Please never use the Datasheet values to select your SSD. We never had a single one that that delivers the shown perfomance in a Ceph Journal use case.

However, do not use Filestore anymore. Especialy with newer kernel versions. Use Bluestore instead.

--
Martin Verges
Managing director

Mobile: +49 174 9335695
E-Mail: martin.verges@xxxxxxxx
Chat: https://t.me/MartinVerges

croit GmbH, Freseniusstr. 31h, 81247 Munich
CEO: Martin Verges - VAT-ID: DE310638492
Com. register: Amtsgericht Munich HRB 231263

Web: https://croit.io
YouTube: https://goo.gl/PGE1Bx

Am Mi., 14. Nov. 2018, 05:46 hat <Dave.Chen@xxxxxxxx> geschrieben:

Thanks Merrick!

I checked with Intel spec [1], the performance Intel said is,

·  Sequential Read (up to) 500 MB/s

·  Sequential Write (up to) 330 MB/s

·  Random Read (100% Span) 72000 IOPS

·  Random Write (100% Span) 20000 IOPS

I think these indicator should be must better than general HDD, and I have run read/write commands with “rados bench” respectively,   there should be some difference.

And is there any kinds of configuration that could give us any performance gain with this SSD (Intel S4500)?

[1] https://ark.intel.com/products/120521/Intel-SSD-DC-S4500-Series-480GB-2-5in-SATA-6Gb-s-3D1-TLC-

Best Regards,

Dave Chen