Fwd: pg log hard limit upgrade bug

+ ceph-users

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Neha Ojha <nojha@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 9:50 AM
Subject: pg log hard limit upgrade bug
To: Ceph Development <ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Nathan Cutler <ncutler@xxxxxxx>, Yuri Weinstein
<yweinste@xxxxxxxxxx>, Josh Durgin <jdurgin@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,

We have discovered an issue with the pg log hard limit
patches(https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/23211,
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/24308), where a partial upgrade
during backfill, can cause the osds on the previous version, to fail
with "assert(trim_to <= info.last_complete)". Full description of the
bug is here: http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/36686.

These changes are in 13.2.2 and 12.2.9, and a workaround for users is
to upgrade and restart all OSDs to a version with the pg hard limit,
or only upgrade when all PGs are active+clean.

Until we add capability to have the pg log hard limit work smoothly in
the upgrade case, we will be reverting these changes,
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/24903, and releasing 12.2.10 as
early as possible.

We are also reverting https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/24902, which
is a low impact bug, but might causes issues in the field.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused due to this.

Thanks,
Neha