Filestore to Bluestore migration question

I am relatively new to Ceph and need some advice on Bluestore migration. I tried migrating a few of our test cluster nodes from Filestore to Bluestore by following this (http://docs.ceph.com/docs/luminous/rados/operations/bluestore-migration/) as the cluster is currently running 12.2.9. The cluster, originally set up by my predecessors, was running Jewel until I upgraded it recently to Luminous.

OSDs in each OSD host is set up in such a way that for ever 10 data HDD disks, there is one SSD drive that is holding their journals.  For example, osd.0 data is on /dev/sdh and its Filestore journal is on a partitioned part of /dev/sda. So, lsblk shows something like

sda       8:0    0 447.1G  0 disk
├─sda1    8:1    0    40G  0 part      # journal for osd.0

sdh       8:112  0   3.7T  0 disk
└─sdh1    8:113  0   3.7T  0 part /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-0

It seems like this was all set up by my predecessor with the following command :

ceph-deploy osd create osd0:sdh:/dev/sda

Since sda is an SSD drive, even after Bluestore migration, I plan to keep the DB and WAL for sdh (and 9 other data disks) on the /sda drive.

I followed all the way up to number 6 of http://docs.ceph.com/docs/luminous/rados/operations/bluestore-migration/.  Then, instead of ceph-volume lvm zap $DEVICE, I used from an admin node, ceph-deploy disk zap to wipe out the contents on those two drives.  Since osd.0 - 9 share the SSD drive for their journals, I did the same for osd.{1..9} as well as /dev/sda.  I then destroyed osd.{0..9}  using the osd destroy command (step 8).

Where something definitely went wrong was the last part. ceph-volume lvm create command shown assumes that WAL and DB will be on the same device as the data.  I tried adding --block.wal --block.data to it, but did not work. I tried various ceph-deploy commands taken from various versions of the doc, but nothing seemed to work.  I even tried manually creating LVs for WAL and DB (http://docs.ceph.com/docs/mimic/rados/configuration/bluestore-config-ref/), but that did not work, either. At some point, the following command seems to have worked (the only command that did not return an error), but then all the OSDs on the node shut down and I could not bring any of them back up.

sudo ceph-disk prepare --bluestore /dev/sdh --block.wal=/dev/sda --block.db=/dev/sda --osd-id 0

Since this is a test cluster with essentially no data on it, I can always start over.  But I do need to know how to properly migrate OSDs from Filestore to Bluestore in this type of setting (with Filestore journal residing on an SSD) for our production clusters.  Please let me know if there are any steps missing in the documentation particularly for a case like this and what commands I need to run to achieve what I am trying to do.  Also, if it is advisable to upgrade to Mimic first, then perform the FIlestore to Bluestore migration, that is an option as well.

--
Mami Hayashida
Research Computing Associate

Research Computing Infrastructure
University of Kentucky Information Technology Services
301 Rose Street | 102 James F. Hardymon Building
Lexington, KY 40506-0495
mami.hayashida@xxxxxxx
(859)323-7521