Re: Ceph version upgrade with Juju

Hi Fabio

On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 at 23:02 Fabio Abreu <fabioabreureis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Cephers,

I have  a little  doubt about the migration of Jewel version in the MAAS / JUJU implementation scenario .

Could someone has the same experience in production environment?

I am asking this because we mapping all challenges of this scenario.

The ceph-mon and ceph-osd charms for Juju support upgrading between Ceph releases; the upgrade is a rolling upgrade, orchestrated through keys managed via the Ceph MON cluster itself.

The upgrade triggers are based around the Ubuntu Cloud Archive pockets that also host Ceph (see [0]), so its possible to online upgrade using the charms from:

  firefly -> hammer
  hammer -> jewel
  jewel -> luminous

we're working on the upgrade from luminous to mimic at the moment (but that should not be a heavy lift so should land real-soon-now).

If you are currently deployed on Xenial (which shipped with Jewel), you can upgrade directly to Luminous by re-configuring the charms:

  juju config ceph-mon source=cloud:xenial-pike

once that has completed (juju status output will tell you when):

  juju config ceph-osd source=cloud:xenial-pike

I'd recommend testing the upgrade in some sort of pre-production testing environment first!

HTH

James

(ceph-* charm contributor and user)

[0] https://github.com/openstack/charms.ceph/blob/master/ceph/utils.py#L2539