Re: ceph-volume: recreate OSD with same ID after drive replacement

Ok, understood (for next time).

But just as an update/closure to my investigation - it seems this is a feature of ceph-volume (that it can't just create an OSD from scratch with a given ID), not of base ceph.  The underlying ceph command (ceph osd new) very happily accepts an osd-id as an extra optional argument (after the fsid), and creates and osd with the given ID.  In fact, a quick change to ceph_volume (create_id function in prepare.py) will make ceph-volume recreate the OSD with a given ID.  I'm not a ceph-volume expert, but a feature to create an OSD with a given ID from scratch would be nice (given that the underlying raw ceph commands already support it).

Andras