Re: Is object name used by CRUSH algorithm?

You are probably thinking of Amazon's S3 where adding a random prefix
to object names was a common performance optimization in the past, but
I think they fixed that recently.

Anyways, common prefixes are very common in Ceph and no problem. For
example, all objects within an rbd imge have the same prefix.

Paul
Am Do., 27. Sep. 2018 um 21:09 Uhr schrieb Jin Mao <jin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I am running luminous and the objects were copied from Isilon with a long and similar prefix in path like /dir1/dir2/dir3/yyyy/mm/dd. The objects are copied to various buckets like bucket_YYYYMMDD/dir1/dir2/dir3/yyyy/mm/dd. This setup minimize some internal code change when moving from NFS to object store.
>
> I heard that CRUSH may NOT evenly balance OSDs if there are many common leading characters in the object name? However, I couldn't find any evidence to support this.
>
> Does anyone know further details about this?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Jin.

Paul Emmerich

Looking for help with your Ceph cluster? Contact us at https://croit.io