How many objects to expect?

Hello,

I have two independent but almost identical systems, one of them (A) the total number of objects stays around 200, the other (B) has been steadily increasing and now seems to have levelled off at around 4000 objects.

The total used data remains roughly the same, but this data is continuously being updated.

I was wondering what determines how many objects are created to store a given amount of data and what is better, more or fewer objects?

Configuration is the same between A and B, 200PGs, "osd_max_object_size": "134217728".

A has about half the pgs with 1-2 objects the rest with 0

B has about half the pgs with 20-30 objects the rest with 0-2

The main difference between the two setups, I am using the kernel client on A and testing the fuse client on the B

Is that significant?

Cephfs version 13.2.1 on CentOs 7.5

Kernel: 3.10.0-862.11.6.el7.x86_64

Ceph kernel client on CentOs 7.4

Kernel: 4.18.7-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64

Ceph fuse client: 13.2.1 on CentOs 7.4

Kernel: 4.18.7-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64

# rados df

total_objects    191

total_used       5.7 GiB

total_avail      367 GiB

total_space      373 GiB

# rados df

total_objects    3901

total_used       9.8 GiB

total_avail      363 GiB

total_space      373 GiB

Side note, just in case it could be related. I came to this question while trying to hunt down a problem on system A (the one with the fewer objects) where “getattr pAsLsXsFsclient requests are often taking a long time to complete (20-30 seconds) delayed by “failed to rdlock, waiting

Any pointers or advice is much appreciated!

Many Thanks for your time!

Tom