Re: Is there any way for ceph-osd to control the max fds?

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 5:39 AM, Jeffrey Zhang <zhang.lei.fly@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In one env, which is deployed through container, i found the ceph-osd always
> be suicide due to "error (24) Too many open files"
>
> Then i increased the LimitNOFILE for the container from 65k to 655k, which
> could fix the issue.
> But the FDs increase all the time. now the max number is around 155k. I am
> afraid
> it will increase forever.
>
> I also found there is a option `max_open_files`, but it seems only used for
> upstart scripts at OS level, and the default value is
> 16384 now[2]. whereas if you are using systemd, it will never load from the
> `max_open_files` options and fixed to 1048576 in default[1].
> So i guess if the ceph-osd live long enough, it will still read the OS level
> strict and suicide at the end.
>
> So here is the question
> 1. since almost all os distro already moved to systemd, so max_open_files is
> uselss now.
> 2. is there any mechanism that ceph-osd could release some fds?

If an OSD actually hits its file limits it just sort of stops; we
don't have mechanisms to trim them down through the whole process.
This is because we need a socket descriptor for every connection
(which you can consider to be every client, plus a monitor and
manager, plus a multiple on the number of OSD peers it has), plus the
files open (which mostly only applies to FileStore and there's a
config, defaults to 1024 I think).
155k is large but I've seen that number before. In systemd we just set
it to 1 million at this point, which has not come up as a limit for
anybody yet. :)
-Greg