Re: WAL/DB size

On 2018-09-07 14:36, Alfredo Deza wrote:

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 8:27 AM, Muhammad Junaid <junaid.fsd.pk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi there

Asking the questions as a newbie. May be asked a number of times before by
many but sorry, it is not clear yet to me.

1. The WAL device is just like journaling device used before bluestore. And
CEPH confirms Write to client after writing to it (Before actual write to
primary device)?

2. If we have lets say 5 OSD's (4 TB SAS) and 1 200GB SSD. Should we
partition SSD in 10 partitions? Shoud/Can we set WAL Partition Size against
each OSD as 10GB? Or what min/max we should set for WAL Partition? And can
we set remaining 150GB as (30GB * 5) for 5 db partitions for all OSD's?

A WAL partition would only help if you have a device faster than the
SSD where the block.db would go.

We recently updated our sizing recommendations for block.db at least
4% of the size of block (also referenced as the data device):

http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/configuration/bluestore-config-ref/#sizing

In your case, what you want is to create 5 logical volumes from your
200GB at 40GB each, without a need for a WAL device.

Thanks in advance. Regards.

Muhammad Junaid