Re: WAL/DB size

Thanks again, but sorry again too. I couldn't understand the following.

1. As per docs, blocks.db is used only for bluestore (file system meta data info etc). It has nothing to do with actual data (for journaling) which will ultimately written to slower disks.
2. How will actual journaling will work if there is no WAL (As you suggested)?

Regards.

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 6:09 PM Alfredo Deza <adeza@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 9:02 AM, Muhammad Junaid <junaid.fsd.pk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks Alfredo. Just to clear that My configuration has 5 OSD's (7200 rpm
> SAS HDDS) which are slower than the 200G SSD. Thats why I asked for a 10G
> WAL partition for each OSD on the SSD.
>
> Are you asking us to do 40GB  * 5 partitions on SSD just for block.db?

Yes.

You don't need a separate WAL defined. It only makes sense when you
have something *faster* than where block.db will live.

In your case 'data' will go in the slower spinning devices, 'block.db'
will go in the SSD, and there is no need for WAL. You would only
benefit
from WAL if you had another device, like an NVMe, where 2GB partitions
(or LVs) could be created for block.wal