Re: Upgrading ceph with HEALTH_ERR 1 scrub errors; Possible data damage: 1 pg inconsistent

Thanks interesting to read. So in luminous it is not really a problem. I
was expecting to get into trouble with the monitors/mds. Because my
failover takes quite long, and thought it was related to the damaged pg

Luminous: "When the past intervals tracking structure was rebuilt around
exactly the information required, it became extremely compact and
relatively insensitive to extended periods of cluster unhealthiness"

> > The adviced solution is to upgrade ceph only in HEALTH_OK state. And
> > also read somewhere that is bad to have your cluster for a long time
in
> > an HEALTH_ERR state.
> >
> > But why is this bad?

See https://ceph.com/community/new-luminous-pg-overdose-protection
under "Problems with past intervals"

"if the cluster becomes unhealthy, and especially if it remains
unhealthy for an extended period of time, a combination of effects can
cause problems."

"If a cluster is unhealthy for an extended period of time (e.g., days or
even weeks), the past interval set can become large enough to require a
significant amount of memory."