Re: data_extra_pool for RGW Luminous still needed?

On 09/03/2018 10:07 PM, Nhat Ngo wrote:

Hi all,

I am new to Ceph and we are setting up a new RadosGW and Ceph storage cluster on Luminous. We are using only EC for our `buckets.data` pool at the moment.

However, I just read the Red Hat Ceph object Gateway for Production article and it mentions an extra  duplicated `buckets.non-ec` pool is needed for multi-part uploads because each multi-upload parts must be stored without EC. EC will only apply to the whole objects, not partial uploads. Is this still hold true for Luminous?

The data layout document on Ceph does not make any mention of non-ec pool:

http://docs.ceph.com/docs/luminous/radosgw/layout/

Thanks,

*Nhat Ngo* | DevOps Engineer

Cloud Research Team, University of Melbourne, 3010, VIC
*Email: *nhat.ngo1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Nhat,

The data extra pool is still necessary for multipart uploads, yes. This extra non-ec pool is only used for the 'multipart metadata' object that tracks which parts have been written, though - the object data for each part is still written to the normal data pool, so it can take advantage of erasure coding.

Casey