Re: Migrating from pre-luminous multi-root crush hierachy

We recently upgrade to luminous (you can see the device-classes in the output). So it should be possible to have one single root, no fake hosts and just use the device-class.
We added some hosts/osds recently which back a new pools, so we also created a new hierarchy and crush rules for those. That worked perfect, and of course we want to have that for the old parts of the cluster, too

Is it possible to move the existing osd's to a new root/bucket without having to move all the data around (which might be difficult cause we don't have enough capacity to move 50 % of the osd's ) ?

I imagine something like:

1.     Magic maintenance command

2.     Move osds to new bucket in hierarchy

3.     Update either existing crush-rule or create new rule an update pool

4.     Magic maintenance-done command

We also plan to migrate the ods to bluestore. Should we do this
a) before moving
b) after moving

I hope our issue is clear.

Best regards
Carsten

You don't need "magic maintenance command", when you online apply your crush rule you need to move your osds to root defined in new crush rule.

Data movement is not huge in this case.