Re: alert conditions

Fwiw I added a few things to https://pad.ceph.com/p/alert-conditions and will circulate this mail a bit wider.
Or maybe there is not all that much interest in alerting...

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 06:10:04PM +0200, Jan Fajerski wrote:
Hi community,
the topic of alerting conditions for a ceph cluster comes up in various contexts. Some folks use prometheus or grafana, (I believe) sopme people would like snmp traps from ceph, the mgr dashboard could provide basic alerting capabilities and there is of course ceph -s.
Also see "Improving alerting/health checks" on ceph-devel.

Working on some prometheus stuff I think it would be nice to have some basic alerting rules in the ceph repo. This could serve as a out-of-the-box default as well as a example or best practice which conditions should be watched.

So I'm wondering what does the community think? What do operators use as alert conditions or find alert-worthy? I'm aware that this is very open-ended, highly dependent on the cluster and its workload and can range from obvious (health_err anyone?) to intricate conditions that are designed for a certain cluster. I'm wondering if we can distill some non-trivial alert conditions that ceph itself does not (yet) provide.

If you have any conditions fitting that description, feel free to add them to https://pad.ceph.com/p/alert-conditions. Otherwise looking forward to feedback.

jan

Jan Fajerski
Engineer Enterprise Storage