Re: Removing all rados objects based on a prefix

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 5:40 PM Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 08/20/2018 05:20 PM, David Turner wrote:
> > The general talk about the rados cleanup command is to clean things up
> > after benchmarking.  Could this command also be used for deleting an old
> > RGW bucket or an RBD.  For instance, a bucket with a prefix of
> > `25ff9eff-058b-41e3-8724-cfffecb979c0.9709451.1` such that all objects
> > in the default.rgw.buckets.data pool for that bucket start with that
> > string.  Could I run [1] this command to clean all of those up?  Listing
> > the full pool contents and grepping out for that string returns 100M
> > objects and every way I've come up with to iterate over that list will
> > take us about a month to get through it.  I would think this has a
> > decent chance to work, except for the description of the [2] cleanup
> > option from the rados man page.
> >
> > Perhaps I'm also barking up the wrong tree.  Does anyone have a better
> > way to delete large RBDs or buckets?
> >

> Nope, you can't filter on prefixes of objects. You'll have to do a
> listing and filter on the output.. That's a very long list.

If someone is writing scripts for this kind of thing, the only help I
can suggest is to use the rados_object_list_slice functionality in
librados, to divide up the object space into multiple ranges and issue
parallel list operations.  That's what the --worker_n etc options to
cephfs-data-scan do.

John