Re: FreeBSD rc.d script: sta.rt not found

On 15/08/2018 19:46, Norman Gray wrote:

Greetings.

I'm having difficulty starting up the ceph monitor on FreeBSD.  The
rc.d/ceph script appears to be doing something ... odd.

I'm following the instructions on
<http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/install/manual-freebsd-deployment/>.
I've configured a monitor called mon.pochhammer

When I try to start the service with

     # service ceph start

I get an error

     /usr/local/bin/init-ceph: sta.rt not found
(/usr/local/etc/ceph/ceph.conf defines mon.pochhammer, /var/lib/ceph
defines )

This appears to be because, in ceph_common.sh's get_name_list(), $orig
is 'start' and allconf ends up as ' mon.pochhammer'.  In that function,
the value of $orig is then worked through word-by-word, whereupon
'start' is split into 'sta' and 'rt', which fails to match a test a few
lines later.

Calling 'service ceph start' results in /usr/local/bin/ceph-init being
called with arguments 'start start', and calling 'service ceph start
start mon.pochhammer' (as the above instructions recommend) results in
'run_rc_command start start start mon.pochhammer'.  Is the ceph-init
script perhaps missing a 'shift' at some point before the sourcing of
ceph_common.sh?

Incidentally, that's a rather unexpected call to the rc.d script -- I
would have expected just 'service ceph start' as above.  The latter call
does seem to extract the correct mon.pochhammer monitor name from the
correct config file, even if the presence of the word 'start' does then
confuse it.

This is FreeBSD 11.2, and ceph-conf version 12.2.7, built from the
FreeBSD ports tree.

This is an error in the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ceph file.

The last line should look like:
	run_rc_command "$1"

The double set of commands is confusing init-ceph.

Init-ceph or rc.d/ceph should be rewritten, but I just have not yet gotten to that. Also because in near future ceph-disk goes a way and the config starts looking different/less important. And I have not yet decided how to fit the parts together.

--WjW