Re: Least impact when adding PG's

Den mån 13 aug. 2018 kl 23:30 skrev <ceph@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Am 7. August 2018 18:08:05 MESZ schrieb John Petrini <jpetrini@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>Hi All,

Hi John,

>Any advice?

I am Not sure but what i would do is to increase the PG Step by Step and always with a value of "Power of two" i.e. 256.

The end result should be a power of two for best spread, but you can still do it in intervals of say 16 PGs at a time or so.
When you go from 4 to 8, 8 to 16 and so on, the change isn't so big, but when you move from 1024 to 2048 you would be
asking 1024 PGs to split "at the same time", which might very well be noticeable to client I/O, so even if you mean to end up
at 2048, you should still do it in small steps to allow client I/O to run as smooth as possible in between those operations.

Also have a look on the pg_-/pgp_num. One of this should be increased First - not sure which one, but the docs  and Mailinglist history should be helpfull.

You can only do one first, so there is zero chance of doing them wrongly.