Re: pg count question

The % should be based on how much of the storage you expect that pool to take up out of total available. 256PGs with Replication 3 will distribute themselves as 256 * 3 / 14 which will be about 54 per OSD. For the smaller pool 16 seems too low.  You can go with 32 and 256 if you want lower number of PGs in the vms pool and expand later. The calculator recommends 32 and 512 for your settings.

Subhachandra