Re: BlueStore performance: SSD vs on the same spinning disk

n 07/08/18 17:10, Robert Stanford wrote:

>  I was surprised to see an email on this list a couple of days ago,
> which said that write performance would actually fall with BlueStore.  I
> thought the reason BlueStore existed was to increase performance.
> Nevertheless, it seems like filestore is going away and everyone should
> upgrade.
>
>  My question is: I have SSDs for filestore journals, for spinning OSDs.
> When upgrading to BlueStore, am I better of using the SSDs for wal/db,
> or am I better of keeping everything (dat, wall, db) on the spinning
> disks (from a performance perspective)?
>
>  Thanks

Your performance will always be better if you put journals/WAL/DB on
faster storage. An all-in-one HDD Bluestore OSD is not more performant
than a properly set up SSD/HDD split OSD. You do, however, need to take
care to make sure that you appropriately size the partitions on the SSD
that you designate as the DB devices - if you leave it naively to the
default settings and trust the tool to do it, you'll probably end up
with tiny partitions that are no use (unless that's changed since the
last time I looked).

Bluestore's performance is better overall than Filestore's. Write
performance is potentially worse than filestore largely in the specific
case of a filestore OSD with an SSD journal (compared to a bluestore OSD
with an SSD DB) subject to bursty, high bandwidth writes - as *all*
writes to filestore hit the journal first and ack once committed to
journal, that's potentially faster than bluestore which will usually
write direct to main storage on the data HDD and so acks slower. If
writing was constant, you would still hit a bottleneck when the
filestore journal has to be flushed to HDD, at which point performance
on bluestore wins out again because it writes to the long-term storage
more efficiently than filestore does.