Re: download.ceph.com repository changes

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 10:54 AM, Dan van der Ster <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 4:38 PM Alfredo Deza <adeza@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After the 12.2.6 release went out, we've been thinking on better ways
>> to remove a version from our repositories to prevent users from
>> upgrading/installing a known bad release.
>>
>> The way our repos are structured today means every single version of
>> the release is included in the repository. That is, for Luminous,
>> every 12.x.x version of the binaries is in the same repo. This is true
>> for both RPM and DEB repositories.
>>
>> However, the DEB repos don't allow pinning to a given version because
>> our tooling (namely reprepro) doesn't construct the repositories in a
>> way that this is allowed. For RPM repos this is fine, and version
>> pinning works.
>>
>> To remove a bad version we have to proposals (and would like to hear
>> ideas on other possibilities), one that would involve symlinks and the
>> other one which purges the known bad version from our repos.
>
> What we did with our mirror was: `rm -f *12.2.6*; createrepo --update
> .` Took a few seconds. Then disabled the mirror cron.

Up until next time when we cut another release and you have to
re-enable the mirror with 12.2.6 in it :(

This is also fast for RPM repos, but not quite fast for DEB repos.
Finally, *if* you are doing this, the metadata changes, and the repos
need to
be signed again. I am curious how that --update operation didn't make
installations complain