Re: Self shutdown of 1 whole system (Derbian stretch/Ceph 12.2.7/bluestore)

Am 23.07.2018 um 14:59 schrieb Nicolas Huillard:
> Le lundi 23 juillet 2018 à 12:40 +0200, Oliver Freyermuth a écrit :
>>>
>>> That's the first part of what I was saying, yes. I was pretty sure
>>> Ceph
>>> doesn't reboot/shutdown/reset, but now it's 100% sure, thanks.
>>> Maybe systemd triggered something, but without any lasting traces.
>>> The kernel didn't leave any more traces in kernel.log, and since
>>> the
>>> server was off, there was no oops remaining on the console...
>>
>> If there was an oops, it should also be recorded in pstore.
>> If the kernel was still running and able to show a stacktrace, even
>> if disk I/O has become impossible,
>> it will in general dump the stacktrace to pstore (e.g. UEFI pstore if
>> you boot via EFI, or ACPI pstore, if available).
>
> I was sure I would learn something from this thread. Thnaks!
> Unfortunately, those machines don't boot using UEFI, /sys/fs/pstore/ is
> empty, and:
> /sys/module/pstore/parameters/backend:(null)
> /sys/module/pstore/parameters/update_ms:-1
>
> I suppose this pstore is also shown in the BMC web interface as "Server
> Health / System Log". This is empty too, and I wondered what would fill
> it. Maybe I'll use UEFI boot next time.

It's usually not shown anywhere else - in the end, the UEFI pstore is just permanend storage, which the Linux kernel uses to save OOPSes and other kinds of PANICs.
It's very unlikely that the BMC can interpret the very same format the Linux kernel writes there.

Sadly, it seems your machine does not have any backend available (unless booted via UEFI).
Our machines can luckily use ACPI ERST (Error Record Serialization Table) even if legacy-booted.

So probably, booting via UEFI is your only option (other options could be netconsole, but it is less robust / does not capture everything, or ramoops, but I've never used that).

Cheers,
	Oliver