De : Matthew Vernon <mv3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Envoyé : 20 July 2018 11:03
À : CUZA Frédéric <frederic.cuza@xxxxxx>; ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Objet : Be careful with orphans find (was Re:  Lost TB for Object storage)

Hi,

On 19/07/18 17:19, CUZA Frédéric wrote:

> After that we tried to remove the orphans :
>
> radosgw-admin orphans find -pool= default.rgw.buckets.data
> --job-id=ophans_clean
>
> radosgw-admin orphans finish --job-id=ophans_clean
>
> It finds some orphans : 85, but the command finish seems not to work,
> so we decided to manually delete those ophans by piping the output of
> find in a log file.

I would advise caution with using the "orphans find" code in radosgw-admin. On the advice of our vendor, we ran this and automatically removed the resulting objects. Unfortunately, a small proportion of the objects found and removed thus were not in fact orphans - meaning we ended up with some damaged S3 objects; they appeared in bucket listings, but you'd get 404 if you tried to download them.

We have asked our vendor to make the wider community aware of the issue, but they have not (yet) done so.

Regards,

Matthew

--
 The Wellcome Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research  Limited, a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a  company registered in England with number 2742969, whose registered  office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.