Re: 12.2.6 CRC errors

In the meantime I upgraded the cluster to 12.2.7 and added the osd distrust data digest = true setting in ceph.conf because it's mixed cluster.

But I still see a constantly growing number of inconsistent PG's and Scrub errors. If I check the running ceph config with ceph --admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/ceph-osd.0.asok config show I can't find this setting.

Did I something wrong? Is it safe to go ahead with the migration to bluestore?

Stefan

We are in the process of building the 12.2.7 release now that will fix
this.  (If you don't want to wait you can also install the autobuilt
packages from shaman.ceph.com... official packages are only a few hours
away from being ready though).

I would set data migration for the time being (norebalance). Once the new
version is install it will stop creating the crc mismatches and it
will prevent them from triggering an incorrect EIO on read.  However,
scrub doesn't repair them yet.  They will tend to go away on their own
as normal IO touches the affected objects.  In 12.2.8 scrub will repair
the CRCs.

In the meantime, while waiting for the fix, you can set
osd_skip_data_digest = false to avoid generating more errors.  But note
that once you upgrade you need to turn that back on (or
osd_distruct_data_digest) to apply the fix/workaround.

You'll want to read the 12.2.7 release notes carefully (PR at
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/23057).

The bug doesn't corrupt data; only the whole-object checksums. However, some reads (when the entire object is read) will see the bad checksum and
return EIO.  This could break applications at a higher layer (although
hopefully they will just abort and exit cleanly; it is hard to tell given
the breadth of workloads).

I hope that helps, and I'm very sorry this regression crept in!
sage