Re: Converting to BlueStore, and external journal devices

Hi,

if you have SSDs for RocksDB, you should provide that in the command (--block.db $DEV), otherwise Ceph will use the one provided disk for all data and RocksDB/WAL. Before you create that OSD you probably should check out the help page for that command, maybe there are more options you should be aware of, e.g. a separate WAL on NVMe.

Regards,
Eugen

Zitat von Robert Stanford <rstanford8896@xxxxxxxxx>:

I am following the steps here:
http://docs.ceph.com/docs/mimic/rados/operations/bluestore-migration/

 The final step is:

ceph-volume lvm create --bluestore --data $DEVICE --osd-id $ID

 I notice this command doesn't specify a device to use as the journal.  Is
it implied that BlueStore will use the same (OSD) device for the function?
I don't think that's what I want (I have spinning disks for data, and SSDs
for journals).  Is there any reason *not* to specify which device to use
for a journal, when creating an OSD with BlueStore capability?