Re: RAID question for Ceph

On 19/07/2018 13:28, Satish Patel wrote:
Thanks for massive details, so what are the options I have can I disable raid controller and run system without raid and use software raid for OS?

Not sure what kind of RAID controller you have. I seem to recall and HP thingy? And those I don't trust at all in HBA mode, I've heard to much bad things about them: They keep messing with the communication to the disk.
Also not sure you can get a firmware version that does HBA only.

Does that make sense ?

Well I run ZFS on FreeBSD, and usually run a zfs mirror for my OS disks.
I guess that for the OS partition it not really matters what you do.
Even RAID it on the controller is not that important. Linux will be able to manage that. And your OS disk are not going to be > 4-6T. So relative oke recover times, and no serious performance requirements.

So you could do either.

Normally we would for a ZFS/Ceph system:
 - have 2 small disks mirrored for OS. Now a days you can get 64-128G
	sata DOM for this. Saves 2 trays in the front.
	Or get a cabinet with 2 2,5"s in the back.
   Connected to the motherboard
 - For a 24 Tray cabinet:
	disktray backplane with individual lanes to each disk
	(have to specifically ask SM for that)
	motherboard with at least 3* 8 PCIe lanes, 2* 10G onboard.
		(would prefer 3*16, but those are relatively rare
		  or they are not fully wired. And require CPUs
		with 48 lanes )
	3 LSI HBA 9207-8i to connect the trays.

--WjW

Sent from my iPhone