Re: krbd vs librbd performance with qemu

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 10:55 AM Nikola Ciprich <nikola.ciprich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

historically I've found many discussions about this topic in
last few years, but it seems  to me to be still a bit unresolved
so I'd like to open the question again..

In all flash deployments, under 12.2.5 luminous and qemu 12.2.0
using lbirbd, I'm getting much worse results regarding IOPS then
with KRBD and direct block device access..

I'm testing on the same 100GB RBD volume, notable ceph settings:

client rbd cache disabled
osd_enable_op_tracker = False
osd_op_num_shards = 64
osd_op_num_threads_per_shard = 1

osds are running bluestore, 2 replicas (it's just for testing)

when I run FIO using librbd directly, I'm getting ~160k reads/s
and ~60k writes/s which is not that bad.

however when I run fio on block device under VM (qemu using librbd),
I'm getting only 60/40K op/s which is a huge loss..

when I use VM with block access to krbd mapped device, numbers
are much better, I'm getting something like 115/40K op/s which
is not ideal, but still much better.. tried many optimisations
and configuration variants (multiple queues, threads vs native aio
etc), but krbd still performs much much better..

My question is whether this is expected, or should both access methods
give more similar results? If possible, I'd like  to stick to librbd
(especially because krbd still lacks layering support, but there are
more reasons)

Just to clarify: modern / rebased krbd block drivers definitely support layering. The only missing features right now are object-map/fast-diff, deep-flatten, and journaling (for RBD mirroring).

interesting is, that when I compare fio direct ceph access, librbd performs
better then KRBD, but  this doesn't concern me that much..

another question, during the tests, I noticed that enabling exclusive lock
feature degrades write iops a lot as well, is this expected? (the performance
falls to someting like 50%)

If you are running multiple fio jobs against the same image (or have the krbd device mapped to multiple hosts w/ active IO), then I would expect a huge performance hit since the lock needs to be transitioned between clients.

I'm doing the tests on small 2 node cluster, VMS are running directly on ceph nodes,
all is centos 7 with 4.14 kernel. (I know it's not recommended to run VMs directly
on ceph nodes, but for small deployments it's necessary for us)

if I could provide more details, I'll be happy to do so

BR

nik

--
Ing. Nikola CIPRICH