Re: CephFS with erasure coding, do I need a cache-pool?

Dear Linh,

another question, if I may:

How do you handle Bluestore WAL and DB, and
how much SSD space do you allocate for them?

Cheers,

Oliver

On 17.07.2018 08:55, Linh Vu wrote:
Hi Oliver,

We have several CephFS on EC pool deployments, one been in production for a while, the others about to pending all the Bluestore+EC fixes in 12.2.7 😊

Firstly as John and Greg have said, you don't need SSD cache pool at all.

Secondly, regarding k/m, it depends on how many hosts or racks you have, and how many failures you want to tolerate.

For our smallest pool with only 8 hosts in 4 different racks and 2 different pairs of switches (note: we consider switch failure more common than rack cooling or power failure), we're using 4/2 with failure domain = host. We currently use this for SSD scratch storage for HPC.

For one of our larger pools, with 24 hosts over 6 different racks and 6 different pairs of switches, we're using 4:2 with failure domain = rack.

For another pool with similar host count but not spread over so many pairs of switches, we're using 6:3 and failure domain = host.

Also keep in mind that a higher value of k/m may give you more throughput but increase latency especially for small files, so it also depends on how important performance is and what kind of file size you store on your CephFS.

Cheers,

Linh