Re: CephFS with erasure coding, do I need a cache-pool?

Hi Oliver,

We put Cephfs directly on an 8:2 EC cluster, (10 nodes, 450 OSD), but
put metadata on a replicated pool using NVMe drives (1 per node, 5 nodes).

We get great performance with large files, but as Linh indicated, IOPS
with small files could be better.

I did consider adding a replicated SSD tier to improve IOPS. But having
seen very inconsistent performance on a kraken test cluster that used
tiering, deciding that it might not give a worthwhile speed-up, plus the
added complexity could make the system fragile.

I'd be interested to hear more from Greg about why cache pools are best
avoided...

best regards,

Jake