Re: RBD image repurpose between iSCSI and QEMU VM, how to do properly ?

Jason Dillaman wrote:

      I am doing more experiments with Ceph iSCSI gateway and I am a bit
    confused on how to properly repurpose an RBD image from iSCSI target
    into QEMU virtual disk and back

This isn't really a use case that we support nor intend to support. Your best bet would be to use an initiator in your linux host to connect to the same LUN as is being exported over iSCSI (just make sure the NTFS file system is quiesced / frozen.

After some more tries I found a way which is convenient enough to me : for every step which requires changing RBD role from qemu/librbd to iscsi or back, I create an RBD snap and a clone of this snap under some new name and assign it to qemu/librbd or to gwcli/iscsi accordingly. Then I can easily drop original RBDs as they are unneeded.

New Mimic functionality which frees me up from mandatory snap protection is of great help.