Approaches for migrating to a much newer cluster

Hello folks,

We have an old active Ceph cluster on Firefly (v0.80.9) which we use for OpenStack and have multiple live clients. We have been put in a position whereby we need to move to a brand new cluster under a new OpenStack deployment. The new cluster is on Luminous (v.12.2.5). Now we obviously do not want to migrate huge images across in one go if we can avoid it, so our current plan is to transfer base images well in advance of the migration, and use the rbd export-diff feature to apply incremental updates from that point forwards. I wanted to reach out to you experts to see if we are going down the right path here, what issues we might encounter, or if there might be any better options. Or does this sound like the right approach?

Many thanks,
Rob