Re: Ceph snapshots

You may find my talk at OpenStack Boston’s Ceph day last year to be useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0OWtllkn8
-Greg
On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 9:06 AM Marc Schöchlin <ms@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello list,

i currently hold 3 snapshots per rbd image for my virtual systems.

What i miss in the current documentation:

  * details about the implementation of snapshots
      o implementation details
      o which scenarios create high overhead per snapshot
      o what causes the really short performance degration on snapshot
        creation/deletion
      o why do i not see a significant rbd performance degration if
        there a numerous snapshots
      o ....
  * details and recommendations about the overhead of snapshots
      o what performance penalty do i have to expect for a write/read iop
      o what are the edgecases of the implemnetation
      o how many snapshots per image (i.e virtual machine) might be a
        good idea
      o ...

Regards
Marc