Re: pre-sharding s3 buckets

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

Sorry, I meant to say that we're running on Luminous, so I'm aware of dynamic resharding - however, I'm worried that this does not suit our particular use case.

What I also forgot to mention is that we could be resharding a bucket 30 times in 8 hours as we will write ~3 million objects in ~8 hours.

Hence the idea that we should preshard to avoid any undesirable workloads.

Cheers,
Tom

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 3:16 PM, Matthew Vernon <mv3@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On 27/06/18 11:18, Thomas Bennett wrote:

> We have a particular use case that we know that we're going to be
> writing lots of objects (up to 3 million) into a bucket. To take
> advantage of sharding, I'm wanting to shard buckets, without the
> performance hit of resharding.

I assume you're running Jewel (Luminous has dynamic resharding); you can
set rgw_override_bucket_index_max_shards = X in your ceph.conf, which
will cause all new buckets to have X shards for the indexes.

HTH,

Matthew

--
 The Wellcome Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research

Thomas Bennett

SRAO
Storage Engineer - Science Data Processing