MDS reports metadata damage

Dear Community,

here at ZIMK at the University of Trier we operate a Ceph Luminous Cluster as filer for a HPC environment via CephFS (Bluestore backend). During setup last year we made the mistake of not configuring the RAID as JBOD, so initially the 3 nodes only housed 1 OSD each. Currently, we are in the process of remediating this. After a loss of metadata due to resetting the journal (journal entries were not being flushed fast enough), we managed to bring the cluster back up and started adding 2 additional nodes. The hardware is a little bit older than the first 3 nodes. We configured the drives on these individually (RAID-0 on each disk since there is no pass-through mode on the controller) and after some rebalancing and re-weight, the first of the original nodes is now empty and ready to be re-installed.

However, due to the aforementioned metadata loss, we are currently getting warnings about metadata damage.

damage ls shows, that only one folder is affected. As we don’t need this folder, we’d like to delete it and the associated metadata and other informations if possible. Taking the cluster offline for a data-scan right now would be a little bit difficult, so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Cluster health details are available here: https://gitlab.uni-trier.de/snippets/65

Regards

Christian Hennen

Project Manager Infrastructural Services

Zentrum für Informations-, Medien-

und Kommunikationstechnologie (ZIMK)

Universität Trier

54286 Trier