Re: separate monitoring node

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 1:17 PM Denny Fuchs <linuxmail@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> at the moment, we use Icinga2, check_ceph* and Telegraf with the Ceph
> plugin. I'm asking what I need to have a separate host, which knows all
> about the Ceph cluster health. The reason is, that each OSD node has
> mostly the exact same data, which is transmitted into our database (like
> InfluxDB or MySQL) and wasting space. Also if something is going on, we
> get alerts for each OSD.
>
> So my idea is, to have a separate VM (on external host) and we use only
> this host for monitoring the global cluster state and measurements.
> Is it correct, that I need only to have mon and mgr as services ? Or
> should I do monitoring in a different way?

The general idea with mgr plugins (Telegraf, etc) is that because
there's only one active mgr daemon, you don't have to worry about
duplicate feeds going in.

I haven't use the icinga2 check_ceph plugin, but it seems like it's
intended to run on any node that has a client keyring, so you wouldn't
need to run a mon/mgr locally where you were running the check plugin,
just the ceph.conf and keyring file.

Cheers,
John