Re: Ceph Mimic on Debian 9 Stretch

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018, Fabian Grünbichler wrote:
> it's of course within your purview as upstream project (lead) to define
> certain platforms/architectures/distros as fully supported, and others
> as best-effort/community-driven/... . there was no clear public
> communication (AFAICT, only the one thread on ceph-maintainers, which is
> rather low visibility) that Debian moves from somewhere in the middle[2]
> to the latter category with Mimic, and has now (at least for the time
> being) effectively joined FreeBSD (which has at least one community
> member pouring in enormous amounts of work) and the various community
> Linux distros like Arch, Gentoo, ... (where I frankly have no idea about
> the status quo). there is also no mention in the docs or the release
> notes about the lack of Debian packages (and the state of Xenial
> packages) for Mimic. all of which gives off more of an "unintended
> consequence" vibe, rather than "conscious decision to drop Debian".

This is a fair assessment, and it's good to hear that there is some path
forward.

It looks like the Buster release date is Feb '19 (give or take), which
corresponds to Nautilus, so it should be possible for Debian users to skip
mimic and upgrade directly from luminous to nautilus as long as we build
some buster packages for luminous as well right around the end of its
lifetime (and/or mimic point releases once buster gets closer to stable).

Is this reasonable?

	https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/22602

sage