Re: PM1633a

On 06/15/2018 09:02 PM, Brian : wrote:
> Hello List - anyone using these drives and have any good  / bad things
> to say about them?

Not really experience with them. I was about to order them in a
SuperMicro chassis which supports SAS3 but then I found that the PM963a
NVMe disks have the same price as the SAS3.

IOps are about the same, but latency of NVMe is much lower, so we
eventually choose the PM963a.

I'm aware that the PM series do not have the write endurance as the SM
series of Samsung, but from my experience the PM863a also works just
fine with Ceph in most moderate workloads. In those situations HDDs are
too slow, but the IOps aren't that bad that you really need a super
powerful SSD.

So no experience with the PM1633a in particular, but I would recommend
looking at NVMe as well.

Wido