Re: Openstack VMs with Ceph EC pools

Thank you, Andrew and Jason for replying.

Jason,
Do you have a sample ceph config file that you can share which works with RBD and EC pools?

Thanks,
Pardhiv Karri

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 9:08 AM, Jason Dillaman <jdillama@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 11:54 AM, Andrew Denton <andrewd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-06-06 at 17:02 -0700, Pardhiv Karri wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is anyone using Openstack with Ceph  Erasure Coding pools as it now
>> supports RBD in Luminous. If so, hows the performance?
>
> I attempted it, but couldn't figure out how to get Cinder to specify
> the data pool. You can't just point Cinder at the erasure-coded pool
> since the ec pool doesn't support OMAP and the rbd creation will fail.
> Cinder will need to learn how to create the rbd differently, or there
> needs to be some override in ceph.conf.

Correct, you can put an override in the "ceph.conf" file on your
Cinder controller nodes:

[client.cinder]
rbd default data pool = XYZ

You can also use Cinder multi-backend, each using a different CephX
user id, to support different overrides for different device classes.

> Thanks,
> Andrew

Jason

--
Pardhiv Karri
"Rise and Rise again until LAMBS become LIONS"