Re: Adding cluster network to running cluster

Hi,

I may be wrong, but AFAIK the cluster network is only used to bind the corresponding functionality to the correct network interface. There's no check for a common CIDR range or something similar in CEPH.

As long as the traffic is routeable from the current public network and the new cluster network, you should be able to transform the network setup host by host without any downtime. We used the same strategy to get rid of our IPoIB cluster network by defining one host as gateway to the cluster network and adding static routes on the other hosts during the transition. After all hosts were processed, we simply deleted the routes.

In case of the original poster it should simply be a matter of defining the cluster network in ceph.conf and restarting the OSDs, since the cluster network interfaces are already present on all hosts.

Regards,
Burkhard