Re: How to throttle operations like "rbd rm"

The 'rbd_concurrent_management_ops' setting controls how many
concurrent, in-flight RADOS object delete operations are possible per
image removal. The default is only 10, so given ten 10 images being
deleted concurrently, I am actually surprised that blocked all IO from
your VMs.

Adding support for limiting the maximum number of concurrent image
deletions would definitely be an OpenStack enhancement. There is an
open blueprint for optionally utilizing the RBD trash instead of
having Cinder delete the images [1], which would allow you to defer
deletions to whenever is convenient. Additionally, once Ceph adds
support for backend QoS (fingers crossed in Nautilus), we can change
librbd to flag all IO for maintenance activities to background (best
effort) priority, which might be the best long-term solution.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cinder/+spec/rbd-deferred-volume-deletion

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 6:40 AM, Yao Guotao <yaoguo_tao@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Cephers,
>
> We use Ceph with Openstack by librbd library.
>
> Last week, my colleague delete 10 volumes from Openstack dashboard at the
> same time, each volume has about 1T used.
> During this time, the disk of OSDs are busy, and there have no I/O for
> normal vm.
>
> So, I want to konw if there are any parameters that can be set to throttle?
>
> I find a parameter about rbd op is 'rbd_concurrent_management_ops'.
> I am trying to figure out how it works in code, and I find the parameter can
> only control the asyncchronous deletion of all objects of an image.
>
> Besides, Should it be controlled at Openstack Nova or Cinder layer?
>
> Thanks,
> Yao Guotao

Jason