Re: Ceph Mimic on Debian 9 Stretch

I see, thanks for the detailed information, Sage!

Kind regards,

Charles Alva
Sent from Gmail Mobile

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 1:39 AM Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[adding ceph-maintainers]

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Charles Alva wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> When will the Ceph Mimic packages for Debian Stretch released? I could not
> find the packages even after changing the sources.list.

The problem is that we're now using c++17, which requires a newer gcc
than stretch or jessie provide, and Debian does not provide backports of
the newer gcc packages.  We currently can't build the latest Ceph for
those releases.

We raised this with the Debian package maintainers about a month ago[1][2]
when the first release candidate was built and didn't get any response
(beyond a "yes, we there are not gcc package backports").  Both ubuntu and
fedora/rhel/centos (and I presume sles/opensuse) provide compiler
backports we did not anticipate this being a problem.

We'd love to build for stretch, but until there is a newer gcc for that
distro it's not possible.  We could build packages for 'testing', but I'm
not sure if those will be usable on stretch.

sage

[1] http://lists.ceph.com/private.cgi/ceph-maintainers-ceph.com/2018-April/000603.html
[2] http://lists.ceph.com/private.cgi/ceph-maintainers-ceph.com/2018-April/000611.html