Re: Data recovery after loosing all monitors

>Luckily; it's not. I don't remember if the MDS maps contain entirely
>ephemeral data, but on the scale of cephfs recovery scenarios that's just
>about the easiest one. Somebody would have to walk through it; you probably
>need to look up the table states and mds counts from the RADOS store and
>generate a new (epoch 1 or 2) mdsmap which contains those settings ready to
>go. Or maybe you just need to "create" a new cephfs on the prior pools and
>set it up with the correct number of MDSes.
>
>At the moment the mostly-documented recovery procedure probably involves
>recovering the journals, flushing everything out, and resetting the server
>state to a single MDS, and if you lose all your monitors there's a good
>chance you need to be going through recovery anyway, so...*shrug*

The idea of just creating a new filesystem from old metadata and data pools
intrigued me, so I looked into it further, including reading some code.

It appears that there's nothing in the MDS map that can't be regenerated, and
while it's probably easy for a Ceph developer to do that, there aren't tools
available that can.

'fs new' comes close, but according to

  http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/cephfs/disaster-recovery/

it causes a new empty root directory to be created, so you lose access to all
your files (and leak all the storage space they occupy).

The same document mentions 'fs reset', which also comes close and keeps the
existing root directory, but it requires, perhaps gratuitously, that a
filesystem already exist in the MDS map, albeit maybe corrupted, before it
regenerates it.

I'm tempted to modify Ceph to try to add a 'fs recreate' that does what 'fs
reset' does, but without expecting anything to be there already.  Maybe that's
all it takes along with 'ceph-objecstore-tool --op update-mon-db' to recover
from a lost cluster map.

--
Bryan Henderson                                   San Jose, California