Erasure: Should k+m always be equal to the total number of OSDs?

Hello everyone,

I'm struggling with the documentation regarding the scalability of Erasure coded pools.

Let's say I have an Erasure coded pool (Jerasure, Reed Salomon) with k = 6 and m = 3, distributed among 3 hosts, with 3 OSDs each. Everything seems nice and working (this is just an example), but I'm reaching the total usable capacity of my pool.

What should I do?

Can I just add another 3 OSD pool without touching the k and m variables and be just fine? Should I change the k (and/or m), will Ceph migrate data between hosts, causing bandwidth bottlenecks in the process?

I'm very confused about it, as every tutorial and docs take for granted k+m = OSDs, but neither say about adding more OSDs and hosts to an existing erasure cluster.

I'll be pretty glad if someone could help me, please.

Best regards,

- Leonidas.