Re: (yet another) multi active mds advise needed

Hello Webert,

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 1:10 PM, Webert de Souza Lima
<webert.boss@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're migrating from a Jewel / filestore based cephfs archicture to a
> Luminous / buestore based one.
>
> One MUST HAVE is multiple Active MDS daemons. I'm still lacking knowledge of
> how it actually works.
> After reading the docs and ML we learned that they work by sort of dividing
> the responsibilities, each with his own and only directory subtree. (please
> correct me if I'm wrong).

Each MDS may have multiple subtrees they are authoritative for. Each
MDS may also replicate metadata from another MDS as a form of load
balancing.

> Question 1: I'd like to know if it is viable to have 4 MDS daemons, being 3
> Active and 1 Standby (or Standby-Replay if that's still possible with
> multi-mds).

standby-replay daemons are not available to take over for ranks other
than the one it follows. So, you would want to have a standby-replay
daemon for each rank or just have normal standbys. It will likely
depend on the size of your MDS (cache size) and available hardware.

> Basically, what we have is 2 subtrees used by dovecot: INDEX and MAIL.
> Their tree is almost identical but INDEX stores all dovecot metadata with
> heavy IO going on and MAIL stores actual email files, with much more writes
> than reads.
>
> I don't know by now which one could bottleneck the MDS servers most so I
> wonder if I can take metrics on MDS usage per pool when it's deployed.
> Question 2: If the metadata workloads are very different I wonder if I can
> isolate them, like pinning MDS servers X and Y to one of the directories.

It's best if y ou see if the normal balancer (especially in v12.2.6
[1]) can handle the load for you without trying to micromanage things
via pins. You can use pinning to isolate metadata load from other
ranks as a stop-gap measure.

[1] https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/21412

--
Patrick Donnelly