Re: a big cluster or several small

On 18-05-14 06:49 PM, Marc Boisis wrote:

Hi,

Hello,
Currently we have a 294 OSD (21 hosts/3 racks) cluster with RBD clients only, 1 single pool (size=3).

We want to divide this cluster into several to minimize the risk in case of failure/crash. For example, a cluster for the mail, another for the file servers, a test cluster ...
Do you think it's a good idea ?

If reliability and data availability is your main concern, and you don't share data between clusters - yes.

Do you have experience feedback on multiple clusters in production on the same hardware:
- containers (LXD or Docker)
- multiple cluster on the same host without virtualization (with ceph-deploy ... --cluster ...)
- multilple pools

Do you have any advice?

We're using containers to host OSDs, but we don't host multiple clusters on same machine (in other words, single physical machine hosts containers for one and the same cluster). We're using Ceph for RBD images, so having multiple clusters isn't a problem for us.

Our main reason for using multiple clusters is that Ceph has a bad reliability history when scaling up and even now there are many issues unresolved (https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/21761 for example) so by dividing single, large cluster into few smaller ones, we reduce the impact for customers when things go fatally wrong - when one cluster goes down or it's performance is on single ESDI drive level due to recovery, other clusters - and their users - are unaffected. For us this already proved useful in the past.

--
Piotr Dałek
piotr.dalek@xxxxxxxxxxxx