Re: Intel Xeon Scalable and CPU frequency scaling on NVMe/SSD Ceph OSDs

Wido, I am going to put my rather large foot in it here.
I am sure it is understood that the Turbo mode will not keep all cores at the maximum frequency at any given time.
There is a thermal envelope for the chip, and the chip works to keep  the power dissipation within that envelope.
From what I gather there is a range of thermal limits even within a given processor SKU, so every chip will exhibit
different Turbo mode behaviour.
And I am sure we all know that when AVX comes into use the Turbo limit is lower.

I guess what I am saying that for to have reproducible behaviour, if you care about it for timings etc. Turbo
can be switched off.
Before you say it, in this case you want to achieve the minimum latency and reproducibility at the Mhz level is not important.

Also worth saying that cooling is important with Turboboost comes into play. I heard a paper at an HPC Advisory Council
where a Russian setup by Lenovo got significantly more performance at the HPC acceptance testing stage when cooling was turned up.

I guess my rambling has not added much to this debate, sorry.
cue a friendly Intel engineer to wander in and tell us exactly what is going on.

On 14 May 2018 at 15:13, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 05/01/2018 10:19 PM, Nick Fisk wrote:
> 4.16 required?
> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Skylake-X-P-State-Linux-
> 4.16

I've been trying with the 4.16 kernel for the last few days, but still,
it's not working.

The CPU's keep clocking down to 800Mhz

I've set scaling_min_freq=scaling_max_freq in /sys, but that doesn't
change a thing. The CPUs keep scaling down.

Still not close to the 1ms latency with these CPUs :(

Wido