Re: Shared WAL/DB device partition for multiple OSDs?

Thanks!

On 12.05.2018 21:17, David Turner wrote:
I would suggest 2GB partitions for WAL partitions and 150GB osds to make an SSD only pool for the fs metadata pool. I know that doesn't use the whole disk, but there's no need or reason to. By under-provisioning the nvme it just adds that much more longevity to the life of the drive.

You cannot change the size of any part of a bluestore osd after creation.

On Sat, May 12, 2018, 3:09 PM Oliver Schulz <oliver.schulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:oliver.schulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Dear David,

    On 11.05.2018 22:10, David Turner wrote:
     > For if you should do WAL only on the NVMe vs use a filestore
    journal,
     > that depends on your write patterns, use case, etc.

    we mostly use CephFS, for scientific data processing. It's
    mainly larger files (10 MB to 10 GB, but sometimes also
    a bunch of small files), typically written once, and read
    several times. We also keep Singularity software container
    images on CephFS, here the read patterns are more scattered.

    We currently have about 1PB raw capacity on ca. 150 OSDs, and
    I'll add another 45 OSDs with 10 TB disks now. The old
    OSDs are all filestore, I'm planning to to switch them
    over to bluestore bit by bit once the new OSDs are online.

     > that ceph will prioritize things such that the WAL won't spill
    over at
     > all and just have the DB going over to the HDD.  I didn't want to
    deal
     > with speed differentials between OSDs.

    So would it make sense to just assign 15GB SSD partition
    for WAL+DB per 10TB OSD (more I don't have available),
    and let the DB spill over?

    Or do you think it would make for more predictable/uniform
    OSD performance to  a few TB WAL and always keep the DB on
    the HDDs (like in your cluster), for our use case?

    Or should I try to use a 2 TB WAL and a 13 TB DB partition
    per 10 TB OSD - maybe 13 TB for DB is just way too small to
    give any benefit , here?

    One important question - is it possible to change WAL and
    DB later on without deleting and re-creating the OSD(s)?

     > The troubleshooting slow requests of that just sounds awful.

    So true!

    Thanks again for all the advice,

    Oliver