Re: ceph-deploy: is it a requirement that the name of each node of the ceph cluster must be resolved to the public IP ?

Monitors can use only exactly one IP address. ceph-deploy uses some heuristics
based on hostname resolution and ceph public addr configuration to guess which
one to use during setup. (Which I've always found to be a quite annoying feature.)

The mon's IP must be reachable from all ceph daemons and clients, so it should be
on your "public" network. Changing the IP of a mon is possible but annoying, it is
often easier to remove and then re-add with a new IP (if possible):

http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/add-or-rm-mons/#changing-a-monitor-s-ip-address

Paul

I have a ceph cluster that I manually deployed, and now I am trying to see if I can use ceph-deploy to deploy new nodes (in particular the object gw).

The network configuration is the following:

Each MON node has two network IP: one on a "management network" (not used for ceph related stuff) and one on a "public network",
The MON daemon listens to on the pub network

Each OSD node  has three network IPs: one on a "management network" (not used for ceph related stuff), one on a "public network" and the third one is an internal network to be used as ceph cluster network (for ceph internal traffic: replication, recovery, etc)

Name resolution works, but names are resolved to the IP address of the management network.
And it looks like this is a problem. E.g. the following command (used in ceph-deploy gatherkeys) issued on a MON host (c-mon-02) doesn't work:

/usr/bin/ceph --verbose --connect-timeout=25 --cluster=ceph --name mon. --keyring=/var/lib/ceph/mon/ceph-c-mon-02/keyring auth get client.admin

unless I change the name resolution of c-mon-02 to the public address

Is it a requirement (at least for ceph-deploy) that the name of each node of the ceph cluster must be resolved to the public IP address ?

Thanks, Massimo

Paul Emmerich

Looking for help with your Ceph cluster? Contact us at https://croit.io

croit GmbH